Sunday, January 28, 2007

JOSE CONFIDENT OF COMPLETING CONTRACT

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho expects to see out his contract with the Barclays Premiership champions, despite persistent reports of unrest behind the scenes at Stamford Bridge.

Mourinho's relationship with Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich has been under the spotlight this season, and there has been much speculation about who might succeed the manager should he leave the club this year.

But Mourinho, asked if he is confident he will still be in charge at the end of the season, told BBC1: "I don't have to be confident. I have a contract that runs until 2010, and that's a very important thing.

"I am manager today and until the end of the season and I believe I will be manager until 2010," he said, just before Chelsea's FA Cup fourth-round tie at home to Nottingham Forest.

Mourinho is aware that a string of potential successors at Stamford Bridge is being discussed in the media but is adamant he is not being unsettled by the speculation.

He said: "If I believe, from what I read in the press, there are contenders - but I don't get influenced by the press. The players feel I am the same - same desire, same commitment."

Pressed on the constant talk of disharmony between himself and Abramovich, Mourinho told BBC's Gary Lineker: "The only thing I can tell you 100% is everyone at this club wants to win. So when I read a few things suggesting we are not on the same side, it's completely untrue. We all want to win.

"Yes we [he and Abramovich] speak. He speaks to me and to (chief executive) Peter Kenyon.

"Roman is not in London for quite a long time. But he is chairman of this club and he doesn't have to give any explanations about his personal life - and when he is back (in London) he is always welcome in our space, in our dressing room."

No comments: